Windows 11 comes out of the box with a refreshing look, but there are many adjustments you can make in the Windows UI. One of the easiest ways to customize the visual experience on Windows 11 is to use themes.
Windows 11 offers eight themes out of the box. You can customize themes by changing the background image, font, color, sound, and other things. In addition, you can also download themes from the Microsoft Store. Here’s how to get started with Windows 11 themes.
How to change the theme in Windows 11
If you’re just bored with your current Windows 11 appearance, you can simply change the themes and choose one of the existing themes on Windows 11.
To change the theme in Windows 11:
- Right-click on the desktop and select Personalize. This opens the Customization section of the Settings app.
- You will see a list of themes at the top of this section under the heading Choose a theme to apply. Just select one of these themes to apply it.
The theme should apply after a few seconds.
How to customize your Windows theme
If you do not want to use a theme as it is, you can customize a Windows theme to your liking. Windows 11 allows you to change specific components of a theme such as wallpaper, lock screen, and colors.
To customize a theme in Windows 11:
- Right-click on the desktop and select Personalize to open the customization section of the Settings app.
- You will see a list of options here that you can customize for your current theme. Some of the most useful customization options include:
- Background: This is where you can change the background image. You can also use other background options such as solid color, slide show, or Windows Spotlight.
- Colors: This is you switch between light and dark modeenable or disable transparency effects and change accent color.
- Lock screen: This is where you can select an image for the lock screen and select an app displayed on the lock screen.
You can too customize the taskbarStart menu and other components such as:
When you change one of these elements, the changes will be applied automatically.
How to use contrast themes
Windows 11 also offers contrast themes for better accessibility. Contrast themes are high-contrast themes designed for visually impaired people, but you can also use them if you like the look and feel of these themes.
Using a contrast theme makes the text more readable due to high contrast colors. If you read a lot on your computer, you may want to give contrast themes a try and see how it makes reading easier.
To enable contrast themes:
- Print Win + I to launch the Settings app and select Availability from the left sidebar.
- click Contrast themes.
- Choose one of the contrast themes from the four available (Aquatic, Desert, Dusk and Night Sky) by clicking on the drop-down menu.
- Click Apply when you have selected a contrast theme.
You can also customize contrast themes in Windows 11. To customize a theme, select a contrast theme from the drop-down menu and click Edit instead of Apply.
Here’s what you can edit in a contrast theme:
- Background: Allows you to change the background color displayed behind a text element.
- Text: Allows you to change the color of the text for Windows 11 and web pages.
- Hyperlink: Allows you to change the color of linked text on Windows 11 and web pages.
- Inactive Text: Allows you to change the color of inactive text displayed anywhere in the operating system.
- Selected text: Allows you to change the color of selected text.
- Button text: Allows you to change the color of buttons and text in the buttons.
Once you have made the changes, select Save as button. You must select a name for this custom theme. Enter a name and then click Save and apply.
If you ever need to quickly enable or disable a contrast theme, you can use the shortcut: Left Alt key + Left Shifty key + Print Screen.
How to download themes on Windows 11
If you do not like themes that already exist on Windows 11, you can also download new ones.
You can choose both free and premium themes from the Microsoft Store, although most are free. The free themes are great, but if you do not mind spending a few bucks you can also get one of the exquisite premium themes.
To download and install new themes:
- Print Win + I to launch the Settings app and navigate to Personalization> Themes.
- Click Browse themes. Doing so launches the Microsoft Store. You will see a list of themes in the store. Click on the one you want to install.
- Once you have clicked on a theme, click on Get button at the top right to download and install the theme.
- Click Open. Doing so opens the Settings app.
- Click on the theme you just installed and it will be applied automatically.
Of course, you can customize the newly installed theme just as you would customize an existing theme.
But if you change your mind later and want to return to the original theme, just select it from the Personalization section of the Settings app. If you no longer need the manually installed theme, right-click on the theme and select Delete.
Windows 11, personalized
Themes are a great way to quickly change the overall look and feel of Windows 11 from time to time. There is a large library of themes on the Microsoft Store if you do not like the ones installed by default on Windows 11.
Alternatively, you can customize the themes installed on your computer. If you miss the Windows 10 experience, you can also make Windows 11 look like Windows 10 with a third-party app.
#customize #Windows #themes